Under the direction of the Center Director, Lead Teacher or Teacher, and in accordance with the Christian nature and purpose of the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati, the Assistant Teacher is responsible assisting in the planning, development, and implementation of all curriculum and program activities in the Early Childhood Care and Education classroom. The Assistant Teacher guides the development of children, ensuring a safe, enriching, and healthy environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with the day-to-day operation of assigned classroom, meeting all state, local and YMCA standards.
- Maintains accurate classroom records as assigned, within state, local, and YMCA standards.
- Assists in implementing the classroom curriculum, activities, experiences and routines in a developmentally appropriate manner, meeting the individual physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs of the participants, under the guidance of the Lead Teacher and Teacher.
- Maintains appropriate staff-to-child ratios, as specified by the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati, at all times.
- Manages the classroom’s resources responsibly.
- Utilizes a diverse selection of materials, equipment and experiences for all enrolled children, including multicultural, non-sexist, and anti-bias.
- Provides opportunities for children to use their large muscles, both indoors and outdoors, with consideration for each child’s physical and developmental capabilities.
- Assists in providing a classroom that adheres to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety standards.
- Assists in providing a classroom that exhibits high standards in cleanliness and presentation.
- Facilitates a classroom environment that invites exploration, promotes positive play and welcomes children.
- Promotes a team concept through interaction with others and maintains on-going communication with supervisor.
- Assists in facilitating a positive classroom environment and the development of self-control in children through the use of positive guidance techniques and expectations that match and respect children’s developing capabilities.
- Upholds the Association’s Child Protection policies, child abuse and neglect guidelines, and proper reporting procedures are upheld at all times.
- Communicates regularly with classroom parents; attends parent/family events and meetings as designated by supervisor.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of YMCA mission, purpose and goals, child care policies and YMCA standards; ensures the program meets the highest stands of excellence.
- Upholds and exemplifies the YMCA’s principles of Character Development, Asset Development, Member/Participant Service, and programs which build “strong kids, strong families and strong communities”.
- Assume all other responsibilities as deemed necessary or assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School Diploma, or have completed a GED program approved by the state Department of Human Services or the state Board of Education
- Must meet all licensing requirements under the Department of Human Services of the state and local governments
- Must be actively working toward Career Pathways level 2 and working toward NAEYC Accreditation training guidelines and SUTQ specialized training.
- Must complete and maintain current status in First Aid, Common childhood Illnesses, Child Abuse Prevention and CPR.
- Must possess and demonstrate ability to engage in all activities associated with the daily care, activities and routines of the program’s children, including but not limited to: interacting with children at floor level, physical education activities such as running, jumping, etc., lifting children and/or equipment and participating in outdoor activities, field trips and swimming as needed
- Must possess visual, oral, auditory and written communication skills appropriate for interacting with children and adults
- Must be capable of implementing the daily administrative, program related and supervisory responsibilities of an Early Childhood Care and Education program.
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time
STARTING SALARY: $8.55/hour