Under the direction of the Director of Competitive Swimming, and in accordance with the Christian nature and purpose of the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati, the Swim Coach is responsible for assisting with the daily operations of the swim team. The incumbent will write and execute their training programs for their designated swimming group. All coaches are responsible for the appropriate positive behavior of all swim team members during practices and meets.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the head swim team coach with instructing students in the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Organizes and directs individual and small group practice activities/exercises as directed by the head swim team coach.
- Assesses swimmer’s skills, monitors students during competition and practice, and keeps the head swim team coach informed of the athletic performance of students.
- Assists with determining game strategy.
- Assists the head swim team coach with supervising athletes during practices and competition.
- Follows established procedures in the event of an injury.
- Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards members, participants, parents, and spectators.
- Maintains the equipment room in orderly condition and assumes responsibility for its security.
- Distributes equipment, supplies, and uniforms to students as directed by the Head Swim Team Coach.
- Assists the Head Swim Team Coach with submitting a list of award winners at the end of the season.
- Performs support tasks such as distributing and maintaining eligibility forms, emergency data cards, and other related records.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities. This position must motivate and develop swimmers, parents and volunteers.
- Demonstrate appropriate level of technical knowledge; possess efficient time-management skills; strong written and verbal communication skills; and must be goal oriented.
- Ability to develop meet rosters for dual meets, invitational, and higher level competitions.
- Ability to recruit and retain swimmers.
- Maintain a register of all swimmers attending each session. Remain aware of technical rules of swimming strokes.
- Attend coaches meetings where requested by the HSTC. Attend appropriate training courses when organized by the branch.
- Abide by all policies and codes as required by the Association to include following and promoting the Child Abuse Protection guidelines.
- Assume all other responsibilities as deemed necessary or assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Current CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid/AED/Oxygen.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard Certification and YMCA Swimming Coach Certification. Child Protection Training must be completed.
- Thorough knowledge of skills and stroke mechanics.
- Previous competitive swimming and age group coaching experience helpful.
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills required.