Under the direction of the Wellness Director and in accordance with the Christian nature and purpose of the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati, the Personal Trainer is responsible for the creation, scheduling and implementation of a program designed to meet the client’s specified fitness goals in accordance with current safety exercise standards. In addition, the Personal Trainer will follow all policies set forth by the Association, provide individual, small group and/or class instruction in wellness program development, strength and cardiovascular training.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs and implements safe, effective and enjoyable wellness programs that will meet the unique needs and wants of individual members.
- Plans and instructs individuals, small groups or classes with a personalized approach following YMCA standards and guidelines and accurately maintains related records.
- Follows-up with assigned members on a regular basis, monitoring their progress.
- Increases participant awareness of all healthy lifestyle factors.
- Encourages member and parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys basic information on Activate Greater Cincinnati components and as appropriate refers members and participants to related programs or staff members.
- Ensures safe and effective workouts. Responds to and reports on accidents and incidents.
- Makes follow-up telephone calls to members and participants in order to maintain appropriate records.
- Assists with multiple Health and Wellness programs as necessary.
- Maintains a professional appearance wearing appropriate attire when on duty.
- Maintains current appropriate certifications.
- Secures a substitute or reschedules appointments if not able to report to work.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent and six (6) months of related experience required.
- Must have current personal training certification by the YMCA, ACE, AFAA, ACSM or other YMCA of Greater Cincinnati recognized certifying agency.
- Must have current CPR and first aid certification, and must obtain YMCA Principles of Health & Fitness certification or equivalent within six (6) months of employment or first available training.
- A current working knowledge as in anatomy, weight training principles, exercise prescription, nutrition and weight control is necessary.
- Must be able to relate and give motivational leadership and to create and implement a program designed to achieve the client’s fitness goals using a variety of exercise modes based on the client’s interests and abilities.
- Minimum physical requirements include the ability and range of motion to perform and demonstrate all aerobic strengthening and flexibility exercises to be included in the exercise prescription.
- Must have manual dexterity to perform body composition using skin fold calipers.
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time
SALARY RANGE: $16.00 - $18.00/hour