Under the direction of the Program Director - Wellness, and in accordance with the Christian nature and purpose of the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati, the Wellness Counselor is responsible for providing excellent instruction, motivation, and support to members participating in the YMCA Wellness Program as well as members who work out regularly at the YMCA. The Wellness Counselor must have an understanding of the principals of YMCA fitness and wellness. This person must also understand the YMCA as a mission and membership-driven organization. Currently need individuals that can work early morning & weekend shifts.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the safe and effective instruction, education, and motivation of YMCA members and participants.
- Responsible for executing set fitness / wellness policies and procedures.
- Provide instruction according to YMCA of the USA guidelines.
- Play a major role in member involvement and retention. Know the appropriate EAP (emergency action plan) for any situation.
- Prepares personalized programs in accordance with YMCA guidelines.
- Provides positive and regular feedback to participants.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Directs any questions requiring additional expertise or attention to supervisor.
- Directs participants to other YMCA classes, programs, and activities.
- Finds substitutes according to set procedures.
- Attends required trainings.
- Maintains appropriate certifications.
- Maintains a clean, safe, and sanitary environment. Reports any hazards or potentially unsafe conditions to immediate supervisor.
- Exemplifies a healthy lifestyle.
- Assume all other responsibilities as deemed necessary or assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or its equivalent required.
- Post secondary training in education, social services, recreation or equivalent.
- Must be available to work early morning and/or weekend shifts.
- Current CPR/AED/Oxygen/First Aid certifications.
- Healthy Lifestyle Principles within six (6) months of hire.
- Foundations of Strength & Conditioning within nine (9) months of hire.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills and must be able to meet the physical and emotional demands of the position.
- Able to work well independently as well as with a staff team.
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time
STARTING SALARY: $8.55/hour