Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Location: TICO Manufacturing, Ridgeland, SC
TICO is a worldwide designer, manufacturer, and marketer of Terminal Tractors; with more than 5000 vehicles in operation around the world we are leading the industry in product innovation, new technology, and exceeding the expectations of our customers.
Launch your career with TICO!
We're looking for the right candidate to join our small, fast paced engineering team!
The qualified candidate has a BS in Mechanical Engineering and 2D AutoCAD Experience (Solidworks 2017 3D Experiences is a plus). They are also able to troubleshoot vehicle systems, develop and read schematics, meet deadlines, and communicate designs to production teammates.
The mechanical engineer will collaborate with a variety of colleagues across project teams from engineering and product development to implementation and manufacturing. In addition to being a team player, our ideal candidate is a self-motivated problem solver who finds pragmatic solutions to highly technical challenges.
- Design functional mechanical control systems through the development and testing of components
- Research and design components for equipment and systems for use in commercial vehicle.
- Supervise the manufacturing and installation of equipment, components, and systems
- Inspect and observe facilities to evaluate the efficacy and quality of systems, components, and products
- Devise testing methods and properties to confirm the functionality of components and systems
- Develop products and systems to meet customer specifications
- Research and test manufacturing and assembly processes; develop innovative processes to improve or modify current methods
- Conduct research to collect and analyze data to create reports about ongoing projects
- Comply with local, state, and federal regulations to uphold the company’s reputation
- Communicate engineering information across teams and departments to facilitate successful completion of large-scale projects
- Troubleshoot to solve unforeseen problems with product design or implementation
- Maintain detailed database to catalog products and component parts
- Train and supervise technicians to assist in project completion
- Expand professional and technical knowledge of leading-edge developments in mechanical control engineering through participation in professional organizations, networking events, and educational workshops
- Review industry publications to maintain a current perspective on the mechanical engineering field
- Have 3D modelling experience (SolidWorks preferred, Catia V5 or Pro-E) acceptable.
- Have 2D AutoCAD experience.
- Understanding safety and environmental compliance of the department. Actively participates in safety improvement activities.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement activities within the departments. Implementation of Lean foundational blocks of Identification of Waste, 5S, Standard Work, and Visual Management. Participates in Kaizen Events and takes on roles of subject matter expert where appropriate. Participates in value stream map creation and goal setting for the department product lines.
The tasks this person will perform:
- Conceive conceptual ideas and thoughts for vehicle design, components of vehicle, and systems of vehicles.
- Makes sketches, creates components, 3D models of components, systems and schematics.
- Analyses data to develop new designs. Uses engineering principles to determine loads and performs necessary calculations to support new design.
- Uses the computer assisted design 3D software to create detail drawings from prepared 3D models, sketches and vendor documents from which manufacturing either makes or purchases component/parts.
- Translates CAD drawings into “pdf” format and files for company wide use.
- Assist in testing to verify and develop new/existing machine design
- Assist in building, or modification of vehicle components and vehicle.
- Uses the computer assisted design software to alter /change existing drawings.
- Uses the computer assisted design software to generate part assemblies, instructions and specifications
- Using “Engineering’s” bill of material format, generate “BOM”.
- Uses computer assisted 2D software to create schematics and diagrams.
- Creates the engineering documentation to communicate the release/change of parts, assemblies and bills of material to manufacturing.
- Responsible for setting up and maintaining organizes files in computer system.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Company sponsored programs, vendor sponsored programs, ASE certifications
- General computer proficiency including spreadsheet and data base tools.
- Familiarity Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP) systems.
- Must be able to participate in Lean principles and continuous improvement activities.
- Minimum of 2-5 years’ of experience in mechanical engineering disciplines
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD or other computer-aided design software applications
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to write clearly about highly technical subject matter
- Thorough understanding of mechanical control systems and component materials
- Capacity to analyze a problem from multiple perspectives and explore creative solutions
- Knowledge of Robotics
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong public speaking and interpersonal skills
- High attention to detail with a desire for excellence
- Knowledgeable in manufacturing processes, fabrications, welding, machining, and assembly techniques
- Knowledge in engineering principles and disciplines
- Knowledge in higher mathematics: algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and English language
Education and Certification
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or similar field
Excellent Benefit Package:
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance Anthem BCBS with TICO contributions towards premiums
- Basic Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance - TICO 100% sponsored
- Medical tax saving account options: FSA or HSA
- Voluntary Supplemental Insurances: Voluntary Life, Disability, Accident, Cancer through Aflac.
- 401K plan with company match
- Drug Free Workplace
- Paid Vacation available in 6 months
- Paid 7 Holidays
- Free Membership to Tickets at Work
- Lift/Push/Pull- Exerting up to 40 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Climbing- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Stooping- Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
- Kneeling- Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- Crouching/Crawling/Reaching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing- Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: operating machines such as lathes, drill presses, power saws and mills where the seeing job is at or within arm’s reach; performing mechanical tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as carpenters, technicians, service people, plumbers, painters, mechanics, etc. The worker is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles or heavy equipment.
- The worker is subject to hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
TICO is a worldwide designer, manufacturer, and marketer of Terminal Tractors with more than 5000 vehicles in operation around the world. Manufacturing Facility in Ridgeland, SC. TICO is the industry leader in product innovations, new technologies, and exceeding customer expectations.
Our vision is to have the most competent workforce available. We are proud to provide excellence in our products and invite you to join our team.
- SAFETY: Follow TICO General Health & Safety Rules, ensure safe operating conditions within area of responsibility, and notify coworkers and supervisors of hazardous acts and conditions. Proper use of PPE; use only defect-free equipment. Promote safety in department. Use proper lifting techniques and overhead hoist when needed. Maintain clean and safe working environment in line with 5-S Philosophy. Participate in hazardous communication training and safety meetings.
- QUALITY: Responsible for the quality of work. This requires defect-free work and understanding of the requirements of the company’s quality system as it pertains to job duties and responsibilities. Must be able to check work to ensure conformance to process control instructions, specifications, and quality standards. Identify and segregate non-conforming product. Identify the need for and assist in initiating and implementing corrective and preventive actions when appropriate.
- FLEXIBILITY: Able and willing to work in other areas as needed. Must be flexible in taking lunch and breaks when workflow requires. Willing to work additional hours as necessary.
- INITIATIVE: Actively participate in continuous improvement of products and processes to better serve customers and improve the overall profitability of TICO. Actively seek out work in other areas when current assignment is complete. Make suggestions for improving product safety, quality, deliver, cost, processes and company profitability.
- TEAMWORK: Positive working attitude toward other employees; be a team player. Work with others constructively and abide by company policies and procedures. Working together as a team for continuous improvement is vital to ensure the future of TICO and its employees. Teamwork will be required to be effective in daily production assignments as well as special improvement projects.
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT: Attend and participate in a variety of meetings, training programs, and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems, and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to changes to equipment or process, new developments, requirements, procedures, and policies.
- LEADERSHIP: Lead the team, provide innovative thought leadership on strategies to grow market share, increase profitability, and meet long-term business goals.
- ACTION-ORIENTED: Enjoy working hard; is action-oriented and energetic; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seize more opportunities than others.
- CONFLICT MANAGEMENT: Step up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; read situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation.
- DEALING WITH AMBIGUITY: Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- DRIVE FOR RESULTS: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
TICO is a Drug-Free Workplace.
Position: Mechanical Engineer
Location: Ridgeland, SC (South Carolina low-country within an hour of Savannah, Bluffton, Beaufort, and Hilton Head)
Job Type: Full-Time