FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: TICO Manufacturing in Ridgeland, SC
Departments: Fabrication, Weld, Paint & Blast
TICO is a worldwide designer, manufacturer, and marketer of Terminal Tractors with more than 5000 vehicles in operation around the world. Manufacturing Facility in Ridgeland, SC. TICO is the industry leader in product innovations, new technologies, and exceeding customer expectations.
Our vision is to have the most competent workforce available. We are proud to provide excellence in our products and invite you to join our team.
This position will plan, coordinate, organize, and control production in the Fabrication, Weld, Paint, and Blast departments. Responsible for efficient production to ensure the right quantity, quality, and costs are achieved. It is the manager’s responsibility to produce goods on time to meet the demands of the plant for quality and delivery. The manager leads the Fabrication, Weld, Paint, and Blast departments to meet objectives that will provide an employee-oriented; high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity, and standards; goal attainment, and the development of a superior workforce.
- Schedules materials, employees, and machines to ensure workflow meets the production timeline and has on-time delivery of all orders.
- Participates in planning meetings to evaluate future specs for process, staffing and equipment requirements.
- Establishes production priorities, and revises schedule according to projects, work order specifications, availability and capability of workers, parts, material, machines, and equipment.
- Ensures products are produced on-time, to spec, and meet all requirements. Responsible for quality and correcting quality control issues.
- Maintain a high level of employee morale within the department. Address employee complaints and resolve concerns. Responsible for two-way communication with management and employees.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow and equipment layout using space requirements.
- Develop and implement procedures and work instructions for all production related processing in the welding department.
- Ensures adequate training of staff and enforces employee compliance to organization’s policies and practices. Participates in the interviewing and hiring process.
- Performs regular departmental and individual skill assessments to determine training necessary for development, conducts employee performance reviews.
- Ensure that manufacturing equipment and employees within the shop operate in accordance to health, safety and environmental regulations and procedures.
- Keep machinery in condition for best performance and highest efficiency via preventative maintenance programs and by maintaining a maintenance log.
- Perform area tasks as needed.
- Understanding, proficiency, certifications and safe use of overhead cranes and rigging techniques.
- Understanding safety and environmental compliance of the department. Actively participates in safety improvement activities.
- Lead continuous improvement activities within the departments. Implementation of Lean foundational blocks of Identification of Waste, 5S, Standard Work, and Visual Management. Participates in Kaizen Events and takes on roles of subject matter expert where appropriate. Participates in value stream map creation and goal setting for the department product lines.
- SAFETY: Follow TICO General Health & Safety Rules, ensure safe operating conditions within area of responsibility, and notify coworkers and supervisors of hazardous acts and conditions. Proper use of PPE; use only defect-free equipment. Promote safety in department. Use proper lifting techniques and overhead hoist when needed. Maintain clean and safe working environment in line with 5-S Philosophy. Participate in hazardous communication training and safety meetings.
- QUALITY: Responsible for the quality of work. This requires defect-free work and understanding of the requirements of the company’s quality system as it pertains to job duties and responsibilities. Must be able to check work to ensure conformance to process control instructions, specifications, and quality standards. Identify and segregate non-conforming product. Identify the need for and assist in initiating and implementing corrective and preventive actions when appropriate.
- FLEXIBILITY: Able and willing to work in other areas as needed. Must be flexible in taking lunch and breaks when workflow requires. Willing to work additional hours as necessary.
- INITIATIVE: Actively participate in continuous improvement of products and processes to better serve customers and improve the overall profitability of TICO. Actively seek out work in other areas when current assignment is complete. Make suggestions for improving product safety, quality, deliver, cost, processes and company profitability.
- TEAMWORK: Positive working attitude toward other employees; be a team player. Work with others constructively and abide by company policies and procedures. Working together as a team for continuous improvement is vital to ensure the future of TICO and its employees. Teamwork will be required to be effective in daily production assignments as well as special improvement projects.
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT: Attend and participate in a variety of meetings, training programs, and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems, and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to changes to equipment or process, new developments, requirements, procedures, and policies.
- LEADERSHIP: Lead the team, provide innovative thought leadership on strategies to grow market share, increase profitability, and meet long-term business goals.
- ACTION-ORIENTED: Enjoy working hard; is action-oriented and energetic; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seize more opportunities than others.
- CONFLICT MANAGEMENT: Step up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; read situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation.
- DEALING WITH AMBIGUITY: Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- DRIVE FOR RESULTS: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Lift/Push/Pull- Exerting up to 40 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Climbing- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Stooping- Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
- Kneeling- Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- Crouching/Crawling/Reaching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing- Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: operating machines such as lathes, drill presses, power saws and mills where the seeing job is at or within arm’s reach; performing mechanical tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as carpenters, technicians, service people, plumbers, painters, mechanics, etc. The worker is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles or heavy equipment.
- The worker is subject to hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma; Bachelor’s Degree or professional accreditation preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ work related management experience in a manufacturing facility.
- Experience with supervision, developing, maintaining and measuring worker utilization, capacity planning, processes and procedures.
- Experience with leadership and communication to include: managing direct reports, hiring, performance feedback, etc.
- Working knowledge of OSHA safety regulations as they relate to a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in specialty vehicle production or custom manufacturing environment.
- Math and blueprint reading skills.
- Welding knowledge that includes experience or training in GMAW processes.
- Must be able to read tape measure.
- Must be familiar with, set up and be able to operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Experience using a variety of welding equipment and procedures (TIG, MIG, Plasma Cutting, etc.)
- Must be able to participate in Lean principles and continuous improvement activities.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package to our employees and their families that includes health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance. 401K, vacation and paid holidays. TICO is a Drug-Free Workplace.
Join us today!