The General Manager (GM) of the Distribution Center (Retail Service Center - RSC) is responsible for the organizational health of the operation and performance of the facility. This position must have a proven track record of success in leading a team of salaried and hourly staff. Operationally, the GM must be able to successfully care for the safe and accurate receipt, storage, order fulfillment and delivery of +68,000 sku’s to our Member-Owned stores. The GM must be able to communicate effectively to everyone within his/her 360-degree scope verbally and in writing. This includes but is not limited to salaried and hourly staff, corporate headquarters personnel, business development staff, member stores and vendors.
- Maintain and consistently improve the corporate culture of “Serving others the way you’d like to be served.”
- Motivate, inspire and manage a large staff of managers, employees and seasonal workers.
- Accomplish RSC talent objectives by recruiting, selecting, onboarding, training, developing, coaching, counseling, and disciplining all staff members; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Responsible for P&L/Budget management for the RSC.
- Monitor and manage all revenues and expenses that impact P&L performance.
- Ensure that customer's service expectations are met, including achieving all service levels metrics and quality performance goals.
- Communicate and interact with customers and various internal departments (i.e. IT, HR, Accounting, etc.) in order to resolve issues, capitalize on opportunities and improve business and service performance.
- Achieves RSC operational objectives by contributing RSC operations information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality and customer-service standards; resolving problems; completing audits; and identifying trends
- Develops RSC operations systems by determining product handling requirements; developing, implementing, enforcing, and evaluating policies and procedures; developing processes for receiving product, equipment utilization, inventory management and shipping
- Analyze process work flow, manning and space requirements, and equipment layout; implementing changes frequently with the appropriate methodologies
- Collaboratively works with critical business partners at other distribution facilities, in the Corporate Office and with our member stores
- Maintains a safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following, enforcing standards and procedures; complying with OSHA regulations and corporate objectives.
- Secures property by developing protection and access policies and procedures
- Ensure the RSC operates efficiently and in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Ensure company policies are communicated, administered and enforced (i.e. accounting, operational, regulatory and administrative)
- Maintains an active leadership role in managing turnover to the appropriate level (among exempt and non-exempt staff members.
- Ensures staff members have proper access to the necessary tools to perform their assigned duties and that the tools are routinely accounted for and adequately maintained
- Must be at work on a regular and predictable basis or as scheduled and follow company policies and procedures and maintain a safe work environment
Education and Experience (minimum):
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10 years of applicable warehousing/distribution center management experience
- 3+ years of supervisory experience required
- 5+ years of experience in a large, high volume DC facility strongly preferred
- WMS experience/equipment/safety
- Small Parcel Processing experience
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent Leadership ability
- Strong coaching and employee development skills and experience
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate and inspire others
- Strong Human Resource capabilities or background
- Advanced customer interaction skills with the ability to communicate effectively
- Proactive problem solving ability
- Strong judgment and decision-making ability
- Demonstrated competency in budgeting, forecasting and planning
- Proven history of profit and loss management
- Effective listening, communication (verbal and written) and negotiating skills
- Manages time effectively and adapts quickly to changing priorities
- Experience with design and layout of distribution facilities and best-in-class operations
- Demonstrated understanding of managing product flow including; receipts of products, movement within the flow through operations, functional operations
- Demonstrated knowledge of warehouse management systems