Routing & Transportation Manager
This position is responsible for providing operational and strategic support to RSC outbound operations. Primary responsibility includes researching, designing and engineering outbound delivery routes utilizing a Transportation Management System (TMS) to ensure high quality, on-time and cost effective weekly deliveries to approximately 3,400 retail operations. Limited travel to Retail Service Centers (RSCs), industry technology conferences and Do it Best Corp. Markets.
- Provides daily guidance and assistance to Retail Service Center (RSC) 3rd party delivery partners regarding daily delivery challenges, load consolidation and routing decision making.
- Review and implement member-owner route change requests.
- Research and design prospective member-owner route proposals.
- Proactively engineer route restructures to optimize efficiencies and improve asset utilization taking into consideration available resources such as warehouse shipping schedules, driver availability, tractors, trailers and related assets.
- Proactively drive 3rd party delivery partner KPI performance and results.
- Partner with Inbound Operations Leadership team to identify, evaluate and execute internal and 3rd party backhauls.
- Assists in providing support and leadership mentoring to the Logistics Member Service Support Team.
- Facilitate individual member requests for specific order/delivery cycle, delivery time of day, palletization, and multiple deliveries per week.
- Resolve member service concerns effectively and courteously.
- Monitor and prepare monthly summary reports for KPI's (splits, on-time delivery, miles, and other additional events deemed significant).
- Engage and leverage 3rd Party Logistics partners.
- Maintain Freight Rate maps.
- Provide additional assistance with projects and other activities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or transportation related field
- Minimum 3 years transportation/distribution work experience
- Minimum 3 years Transportation Management System (TMS) experience, specific to route design
- Minimum 3 years LTL routing experience and knowledge.
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience
Skills and Abilities
- Requires confidence and independent decision-making skills to problem-solve, juggle competing priorities, and provide accurate and responsive customer service.
- Excellent problem solving, creative thinking, and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong customer/member service and communication skills; thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Team oriented with ability to accept compromise.
- Flexible, non-defensive, with ability to embrace change.
- Ability to work as a support function in a highly motivated sales environment.
- Quick learner, multi-tasker, organized, detail-oriented, problem-solver.
- Proven experience managing/prioritizing own work assignments, and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to quickly assess client situations, and escalate to management when needed.
- Ability to create reports, business correspondence and procedures and effectively communicate and present information
- Ability to problem solve and deal with an array of variables in a time-sensitive environment
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and be a strong self-starter
- Proficient computer skills: Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and mapping/routing software.