In-Home Care Attendant (Part-Time Based on Need)
Locations: Franklin County (Winchester and surrounding areas)
Salary: $ 11.58 / hr.
The employee works under the supervision of the Program Coordinator. Supportive services provided by qualified paraprofessionals employed as In-Home Care Attendants, supervised by professional staff, directed to providing: protective supervision to adults; teaching homemaker skills; provision of household management; essential shopping; household tasks; provision of personal care; and/or provision of temporary care to help the adult return to or remain in his/her own home.
EQUIPMENT/ JOB LOCATION:
The employee will be stationed in our Neighborhood Service Centers or DHS, (if space is provided) in the County they are centrally located in. The employee will be exposed to dirt, dust, foul odors and other household odors. The employee will be expected to travel by own personal vehicle to each participant's home. Employee is required to maintain liability insurance coverage with proof of insurance maintained in the Central Office. The employee will be physically capable of caring for the consumer's needs for daily living, thereby promoting dignity and independent living with consumer remaining safely in their home with goals being met.
- Performance or routine household chores, such as sweeping, mopping, dusting, making bed, washing dishes, laundry, ironing mending and caring for clothing
- Assistance with personal care, such as bathing, toileting, eating, dressing, grooming.
- Help with simple health care routine, such as reminders to maintain diet restrictions and reminders to do recommended exercises.
- Assistance in obtaining appropriate medical care.
- Performance of essential shopping and errands with or for the individual (for example; Dr. visits, grocery shopping, drugstore, paying bills, essential needs, etc.).
- Preparation of/or providing education about nutritious appetizing meals.
- Provision of consumer education and assistance with household budgeting
- Provision of assistance in the selection and purchase of items needed to make the home adequate for the individual, assisting the individual/caregiver in improving a home.
- Assisting the individual/caregiver in learning to use community resources.
- Temporary supervision of an individual in his/her own home in an emergency situation, such as illness of caregiver or temporary absence of caregiver.
- Maintenance of records and submission of timely reports.
- A pleasing personality and a strong desire to assist elderly and individuals with disabilities in their daily situation/problems
- Attend workshops and training as required.
- Adheres to professional ethics and standards, demonstrating work habits which comply with Agency Personnel Policies and Procedures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees of the Department of Human Services, general public and other employees.
- Ability to communicate with persons of any economic level regardless of race, color, creed, religion or national origin.
- Knowledge of the special needs of the elderly and/or handicapped adults to effectively deal and communicate with them.
- Must be experienced with and/or have a compassionate attitude toward the elderly and/or handicapped consumers.
- Ability to speak and communicate well.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to fill out forms and reports, establish and maintain adequate records and methods for systematic reporting of statistical data.
- Conferring with Department staff.
- Must attend orientation training as well as all required training sessions.
- Ability to bend, crouch, stoop and intermittently sit and/or stand as a result of continuously lifting.
- Must be able to lift 10-60 pounds.
- Ability to travel within area as required.
- Knowledge of business English and Arithmetic.
- Graduation from a standard High School, GED or equivalent in experience.
- Two (2) to Five(5) years experience in social services field preferred, especially working with elderly or disabled individuals.
- C.N.A desireable.
- Must have a pleasing personality and ability to get along with people.
- Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver's License and Automobile Liability Insurance.