PMI Pipe, Steel & Supplies Class A Truck Driver is responsible for transporting goods from one place to another using heavy or tractor-trailer trucks. The key purpose is to provide a high quality customer experience, operating a safe, clean, and well-organized customer and vehicle paperwork.
- Transporting inventory over land to and from branch locations to different types of customer locations.
- Inspect vehicle and associated equipment for mechanical items and safety issues before and after each trip and perform preventative maintenance (pre-trip and post-trip inspections)
- Report all mechanical problems to the appropriate personnel using appropriate forms
- Maintain radio or telephone contact with supervisor to receive instructions
- Keep vehicle and associated equipment, clean and in good working order.
- Loading and unloading inventory as required
- Adhere to planned routes and meet delivery schedules
- Document and log work/rest periods and time spent driving according to state and federal regulations on PMI Daily Log Record and retain fuel/toll receipts
- Keep records of all paperwork received and return to supervisor at end of shift for proper processing.
- Obtain customer signature or collect payment for goods delivered if requested.
- Comply with truck driving rules and regulations (size, weight, route designations, parking and break periods) as well as with company policies and procedures
- Position blocks and tie ropes around items to secure cargo for transport.
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions
- Collect and verify delivery instructions
- Report defects, accidents or violations immediately
- Fill up on fuel, clean truck and wash windows
- Report to supervisor any incidents encounter on the road
- Monitor road conditions and watch for traffic congestion
- Follow all applicable traffic laws
- Follow accident procedures if an accident occurs.
- Be responsible for keeping all required certifications and licensing current with re-certifications and licensing update completed in a timely manner.
- Communicate and cooperate with supervisors and coworkers.
- Communicate with customers on delivery times (on-time, delay, etc)
- Handle other duties as requested.
- Proven work experience as a truck driver
- Ability to read, write and speak English; Spanish as a 2nd language is a plus
- Must be 25 years of age
- Ability to lift up to 80 pounds
- Clean and neat appearance; uniform must be in good condition.
- Hands on experience with electronic equipment and software (GPS, iPhone, etc)
- Ability to drive long hours and travel regularly with possible overnight stay.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable truck driving rules and regulations
- No recent moving or driving violations
- Adaptability and foresight to handle unexpected situations (traffic, weather conditions etc)
- Willing to submit to background/drug checks and provide employment recommendations
- Trucking school diploma
- Valid truck driving license
PMI Pipe Steel & Supplies is an equal opportunity employer