FLSA Status: FT- Exempt
Dept or Functional Area: Health Center
EEO Job Class: Professionals
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
The Pediatrician at Heritage Health Center is responsible for providing comprehensive medical services in an ambulatory care setting for patients 0 through 21 years of age. Services include: primary care and treatment, Preventative care, Immunizations, health education, prescribing of medications, ordering or interpreting lab testing, physical examinations, STD screenings, Vision/hearing, and family planning. The work of the Pediatrician is directed by the Chief Executive Officer.
Employees must perform their jobs with a focus on risk management, occupational safety and health, and providing internal and external customer service.
KEY JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Pediatrician will serve as the primary care provider to those patients assigned to him/her and will provide all appropriate initial and subsequent medical care to them.
- Reviews patient file/record, including allergies, problems, medications and immunization status.
- Elicits and records information about patient’s medical history.
- Examines patients for symptoms or physical information.
- Orders or executes various tests, analyses and diagnostic images to provide information on patient’s condition.
- Analyzes reports and findings of tests and examination and diagnoses condition of patient.
- Administers or prescribes treatments.
- Determines and prescribes medication, dosage and schedule given the patient’s condition and allergies.
- Discusses any possible side effects to medication or immunization with patient.
- Prescribes vaccinations to immunize patient from communicable diseases.
- Promotes health by advising patients about diet, hygiene and methods for prevention of disease.
- Performs surgical procedures commensurate with surgical competency.
- Refers patients to medical specialist for consultant services when necessary for patient’s well-being.
- Maintains an affiliation with professional groups, medical associations, and medical organizations, as per policies established and represents Heritage Health Center in all meetings of these associations and organizations as assigned;
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with Federal, State, and local rules, regulations, and practices in a Community Health Center.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Position doesn’t supervise others.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge and ability to apply professional medical principles, procedures and techniques.
- Must possess knowledge of community resources and health care processes, structure, and function
- Thorough knowledge of pharmacological agents used in patient treatment;
- Effective verbal and written communication skills along with proper telephone etiquette;
- Performs in a tactful and professional manner;
- Excellent computer skills that include sound knowledge of the use an Electronic Medical Record.
- Degree in Medicine (MD/DO) from an accredited school and a valid/current license to practice in New York State;
- Current DEA;
- Completed residency in Pediatrics;
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Pediatrics;
- Current BLS or PALS certificate;
- Current Infection Control Certificate.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the duties and responsibilities that are required of the job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks within their scope of work other than those presented in this description.