Functions as a Dental Hygienist under the direct supervision of the Dental Director, to provide primary care to health center patients. The dental hygienist will provide oral care such as debridement, hand scaling and regular cleanings to patients and provide them with information to assist with developing and maintaining good oral health.
Incumbents in this job may have access to proprietary consumer or company information and must maintain the privacy and confidentiality of this information. All employees must perform their jobs with a focus on risk management, occupational safety and health, and providing internal and external customer service. Employees working in a supervisory capacity must practice effective human resources practices to ensure a healthy working environment.
KEY JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Incumbents in the job must be able to perform the key duties and responsibilities of the job and all other duties as assigned with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
- Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient's oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
- Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radio-graphic studies.
- Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
- Construct impressions of patients' teeth for study casts.
- Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances; placing, carving, and finishing amalgam restorations; removing cement from crowns and bridges.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
- Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Perform documentation and office management activities
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
This position does not supervise others
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of federal, state and institutional regulations and guidelines for the provision of dental outpatient services
- Understanding of standard practices and procedures
- Basic understanding and knowledge of HIPAA
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene from an institution accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Must be licensed in New York State
- Have a minimum of three (3) years’ of experience as a Dental Hygienist
- Must function according to standing orders developed in consultation with the Dental Director
The Dental Hygienist is assigned to the Health Center. The Dental Hygienist may be required to travel to other sites based on the needs of the agency