Position: Manager, FP&A
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
A123 Systems, LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion
batteries and battery systems for the transportation and commercial markets.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Manager of FP&A will be responsible for budgeting, forecasting and consolidation for timely monthly, quarterly and ad-hoc management reporting. This will include collecting data with an emphasis on analyzing the data collected and providing timely reports that will be utilized by the management team to drive operational business decisions. The position will also direct and assist in the preparation of daily, weekly, and monthly reporting as well as ad-hoc financial analysis/special projects to assist management in understanding business performance.
In addition to manufacturing focus, this position will also be responsible for Financial Planning & Analysis activities for the North American sites located in Michigan and Massachusetts. Such activity will include forecasting, budgeting, actual vs. budget/forecast reporting and business case analyses for new products.
The position will also assist with strategic planning initiatives. Expected to make an impact in the Company’s unique manufacturing environment, the position will assume a wide range of responsibility supporting the growth of the business. In the Company’s current growth environment, the position will also require driving consistency in product costing, budgeting, forecasting and management reporting across locations currently in the U.S., Europe and China.
- Budgeting and forecasting financial process management. This includes driving consistency across all locations in managing the data collection process with accounting resources & functional leadership, and building the financial statements to present information formally.
- Monthly financial forecasting and actual performance management. The position will be responsible for collection, consolidation, analysis and reporting of monthly financial forecasting and actual performance reporting. This includes driving efforts to understand root causes of variances and establish recovery actions when necessary.
- Support leadership with reporting to understand interim performance against budget/forecast, assist in identification of unfavorable variances/root cause and assist in development of daily/weekly/monthly KPI’s representing leading indicators of financial performance.
- Support Product Development teams with business case analysis on product proposals as well as budgeting and forecasting of ongoing research and development and engineering expenses by project.
- Capital expenditure planning and control. This includes developing forms and driving consistent application across all locations for capital expenditure budgeting, approval and performance tracking against capital expenditure budget. Improvements required in current process regarding payback/IRR analysis for all major budgeted capital expenditure items, line-item spending control on approved projects and measuring technical/manufacturing performance in acquired equipment vs. those approved. Post-mortem analyses on approved projects also required to measure cost savings and ensure those savings are incorporated into future budget and forecast information to drive and optimize payback performance.
- Conduct ad-hoc financial analysis/special projects to assist management in understanding business performance and identify performance improvement initiatives.
- Candidate will need to possess strong organizational, analytical, motivational and mentoring skills and be able to clearly link financial results to operational performance drivers, generate alternatives and drive positive change.
- Financial Acumen - Knowledge about general financial and accounting principles and practices that impact operations; knowledge about the links between operations and the company’s financial performance is essential to create value for all stakeholders of the organization
- Candidate should have strong oral and written communication skills, and be able to clearly communicate complex financial information in an easy to understand manner.
- Prefer candidates with previous experience in a fast-paced environment of multiple priorities, high standards, and demanding expectations in which change is both quick and frequent.
- Systems Proficiency – Experience with QAD desired and strong Excel skills required for this position. Most importantly, data must be accurate and relevant
- Candidate will need extensive experience with consolidations. Experience with Hyperion or similar software will be a plus.
- Desire to pursue a long-term career with a leading progressive company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance (MBA or post graduate certificate preferred)
- 5+ years of progressive Finance/Accounting experience with a manufacturing company. Ideally within a technology-based manufacturing industry.
- Prior demonstrated responsibility in process improvement and direct report team development.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly strong Excel skills involving pivot tables and macros.
- Proficiency with Power Point application and previous experience in designing and preparing succinct presentations appropriate for executive and non-financial audiences.
- Proficiency with QAD and Hyperion or similar applications a plus.