Job Title: Engineering Technician
Location: Waltham, MA
A123 Systems, LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion batteries and battery systems for the transportation and commercial markets.
The Engineering Technician will work under the direction of the Development Engineering Group Lead or Senior Engineer. Primary responsibilities of this position include maintaining and servicing Pilot manufacturing equipment related to electrode build and cell assembly, as well as operating process equipment, basic technical analysis, and documentation development.
- Daily equipment maintenance and setup for Pilot R&D operation.
- Provide troubleshooting for equipment upsets and make appropriate repairs to insure proper equipment operation and specification achievement.
- Operate various process equipment used in the development of cells for troubleshooting and repair confirmation.
- Cross train Pilot and R&D personnel on equipment modifications, proper operating methods, and new equipment installations.
- Provide mechanical installation support for new equipment installations, tooling changes, equipment conversions and modifications.
- Work on assignments that are semi-routine in nature. Recognize the need for deviation from accepted practice and develop solutions independently[TH1] .
- Contribute proactively to process improvements by independently documenting learnings and analyzing data by using basic math and computer software.
- Recommend engineering or operational suggestions that could improve product quality, throughput, reduce downtime or improve safety.
- Confront & resolve operating or performance issues in a positive way. Implement simple solutions to reduce operator variation & potential quality defects.
- Focus on work area safety, cleanliness, material usage and organization.
- Perform other technical functions as required to support the pilot R&D operation.
- Successful candidates will be both quality and detail oriented, be team oriented and flexible. They will possess good interpersonal skills, be proficient in written and verbal communication and be able to interface with co-workers and management.
- The position requires the ability to grasp technical concepts and language along with the ability to communicate in a data-driven manner. Attention to detail is critical and the ability to work with a minimum amount of supervision.
- General lab skills, as well as ability to comprehend CAD drawings are required.
- Ability to work with a variety of test equipment, some chemicals, and in a general lab setting is necessary.
- Proficiency in the use of various hand tools, battery operated equipment, and precision measurement devices.
- Capable of working against tight deadlines without sacrificing detail/safety.
- Associates degree preferred or High school diploma with more relevant experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and general computer use.
- Experience with Creo or similar CAD software a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to perform various math calculations and use test / measuring devices.
- Any fabrication/machine shop experience is a plus.
- Electrical equipment/troubleshooting a plus.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction, and also as part of team.