Position: Product Development Engineer
Location: Waltham, MA
A123 Systems, LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion batteries and battery systems for the transportation and commercial markets.
The Product Development Engineer will be required to comprehend customer battery power system requirements and specifications and convert these requirements into manufacturable product designs concisely documented in component and assembly drawings and specifications which meet company and industry standards.
- Tracking and ensuring compliance of engineering documentation as part of a lithium-ion battery product development organization.
- Work with scientists and engineers who report into the Cell Product Development organization and ensure that all design documents meet A123's standards for document quality
- Ensure that document packages for each lithium-ion cell are complete and appropriate for stage gate review.
- Work with the Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) or similar Phase Gate product development process
- Drive compliance to document guidelines throughout the Cell Product Development organization.
- Responsible for product development and accountability throughout the organization to ensure that design documentation is submitted correctly and on time and will use version control software (such as Agile).
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering
- 5 years in a product development role.
Special Skills/Abilities Requirements
- Familiarity with Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) or similar product development process
- Familiarity with engineering change (EC) processes
- Demonstrated record of launching products successfully
- Understanding of Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA) required
- Working knowledge and experience with 3D CAD modeling and drawing software
- Expertise in part and assembly tolerancing and GDT (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) per ANSI/ASME standards
- Working knowledge of heat transfer and direct current electrical analysis, as well as understanding of non-linear materials behavior
- Ability to perform linear and non-linear Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for mechanical, thermal and coupled thermal-electric design analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally up to 25% of the time