Senior Modeling Scientist (A123 Systems, LLC.; Waltham, MA):
The Senior Modeling Scientist will be responsible for developing, maintaining, and conducting Li-ion cell electro-chemical and life modeling and simulation. This individual will be a key contributor in advancing A123's competitive advantage in quantitative modeling methods and leader in incorporating advanced scientific concepts into in-house models.
- Lead the design, development and operation of statistical models and algorithms for li-ion cell life estimation;
- Develop physics-driven models to connect fundamental material properties to cell design and performance;
- Lead the investigation of modeling issues, identify root causes and design solutions;
- Incorporate advanced scientific concepts into the models;
- Plan experiments and data generation for model development, calibration and validation;
- Develop fundamental understanding of relationships between battery chemistry, system functions, and vehicle application requirements for automotive energy storage applications;
- Conduct battery cell performance, and/or life analysis under a given driving cycle and ambient conditions;
- Provide guidance for battery pack sizing, performance compliance;
- Provide modeling basis for battery test and validation activities, including test plan set up, project coordination, test involvement, project schedule, and test results analysis;
- Interface with the cell design engineers and evaluate emerging technologies;
- Work multi-functionally with other teams to develop standard methodologies in model building and validation;
- Interact with product engineers to conduct root cause analysis, and provide technical proposals and solutions to resolve engineering problems;
- Effectively communicate technical concepts and findings to internal/external customers using appropriate media;
- Mentor modeling scientist and cell engineers to grow their careers and improve their skills;
- Building company's brand recognition by showcasing technological achievements at scientific/industry conferences and through publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Materials Engineering
- 5 years of experience in Battery Modeling Simulations and MATLAB
- 2 years of experience in simulation, software development, or Li-ion battery modeling relevant to automotive applications
Experience can be gained through industry or academic program.
Special Skills Requirements:
- Demonstrated ability to independently conduct Li-ion battery cell performance and/or life simulations;
- Track record in development of battery simulation and modeling tools;
- Strong communication and organizational skills with appropriate detail-oriented level;
- demonstrated history of working with multinational project teams on tight deadlines;
- Advanced knowledge of Electrochemistry, Li-ion battery technology, Computing Algorithms and materials science;
- Li-ion battery materials expertise at the fundamental structure/properties level;
- Functional level understanding of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles technology;
- Resourceful problem solver with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a team player as well as provide creative out-of-the-box solutions;
- Demonstrated record of peer-reviewed publications in the field of Li-ion batteries.
Unless otherwise indicated, employer is seeking the ability in skills listed above with no specific amount of years of experience required. All experience can be gained concurrently.
Apply online at http://www.a123systems.com/about-us-careers.htm. Reference: AA31207.