Position: Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
Reports To: Manager, Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
A123 Systems, LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion
batteries and battery systems for the transportation and commercial markets.
As part of a New Global Advanced manufacturing Engineering team, the Advanced Manufacturing Engineer supports all advanced manufacturing engineering activities for a next generation battery design and manufacturing development.
Support New Product Development activities from concept to ramp up production. As part of a member of the Global Advanced manufacturing Engineering team, provide direction on costing, manufacturability changes, equipment selection, capacity analysis & quality. Provide support on engineering prototype builds, pilot production and production.
Support product transitions from the US other production regions, including China and Europe.
Develop phase gate product release manufacturing documentation required to support production builds. These documents include work instructions, quality SPC targets, Gauge R & R and other manufacturing related documentation.
Lead Process FMEA activities to ensure process shortcomings are identified and addressed. Participate in design FMEA activities.
Support continuous improvement manufacturing engineering activities to achieve and exceed quality targets.
Use of statistical techniques as a tool to improve existing processes and define new processes
Develop and support new manufacturing processes required to support new technologies.
Support BOM verification and ECO activities. Support and qualify product changes
Participate in Product Design reviews to insure manufacturability of products
Plan, execute and analyze experiments
- Broad understanding of manufacturing concepts including: Value Stream Mapping, OEE, and TPS are necessary
- Verifiable analytical skills and abilities to evaluate and improve production processes and capabilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to coordinate activities across multiple locations - champion the benefits of technology sharing across the organization.
- Identify and justify Advance Manufacturing key design changes, processes and equipment.
- Manufactured cost analyses of new and existing products, including processing cost analysis.
- Development of standardized manufacturing documentation such as equipment specifications, operator instructions, drawings, and BOMs.
- Implement best manufacturing practices for existing processes and provide multi-site manufacturing engineering support.
- Perform competitive product reviews and provide manufacturing feedback to design and marketing groups.
- Research and vet new manufacturing technologies and practices.
- Coordinate cross-plant problem-solving teams to improve operating performance.
- Assist with business-critical capital projects including facility planning and layout.
- Develop and implement manufacturing plans and presentations for new products
BS in Manufacturing, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering.
5yrs + experience in high volume battery cell manufacturing.
Knowledge of DFM, Lean manufacturing, phase gate product release process and Six Sigma Principles.
Some experience in automation and tooling
This position is based Livonia, MI, it will require travel to manufacturing operations in Asia, Europe and MA as needed.
Safety & Company Orientation
Manufacturing simulation software (Simul8 preferred)
High Voltage component assembly