Position: Electrolyte Scientist (Senior or Entry Level)
Reports To: Manager of Electrolyte Development
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
A123 Systems, LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion batteries and battery systems for the transportation and commercial markets.
A123 Systems research and development division has an immediate opening position for a Senior Electrolyte Scientist to join the team that specializes in electrolyte formula design, optimize, and evaluate advanced electrolytes and additives for high voltage and high energy lithium-ion battery applications. The successful candidate will be focusing on advanced electrolytes and additives exploration, to achieve long cycle/ calendar life, high safety performance for high energy density lithium-ion batteries. Primary job responsibilities include generating new ideas and approaches for novel additive design & synthesis, development improved electrolyte compositions, in accordance with A123’s technology roadmap. Attending to these responsibilities will require working closely with electrolyte, anode, cathode, and cell scientists and engineers located in A123’s Waltham, MA and Hangzhou, China facilities. Additional responsibilities include data collection, test procedure modification, data analysis and presentation, updating SOPs, and maintaining shared laboratory space.
- Electrolyte formulation design & development for high voltage (> 4.4V), and/or high nickel content NMC cathode cell chemistry to achieve long cycle/ calendar life.
- Electrolyte formulation design & development for Si/C, SiO/C high capacity anode cell chemistry to achieve long cycle/ calendar life.
- Electrolyte formulation design & developing to improve safety performance, including overcharge, nail penetration, crush, etc., for high energy density lithium-ion batteries.
- Conduct benchmark studies of electrolytes, additives, lithium salts, and provide technical assessment of their potential application.
- Investigate promising electrolyte formulas and identify technical benefits and bottlenecks to further optimize electrolyte formulations.
- Inject innovative thinking and introduce new additives, solvents, lithium salts, and/or formulations for performance optimization in cost effective approach.
- Support lab scale synthesis, characterization, electrochemistry and cell testing of various additives and electrolyte formulas.
- DOE development and use of statistical tools to evaluate effect of coating process treatment, and optimized coating procedures.
- Identify short and long term roadmap technologies for achieving safety, performance, and cost reduction goals for Li Ion battery.
- Collaborate with Product Development, Engineering, Operations, and Supply Chain to identify all requirements and targets, and create roadmap to achieve goals.
- Strong expertise and extensive hands-on experience in organic chemistry including synthesis, characterization, and performance evaluation.
The successful candidate will be a creative and resourceful problem solver with excellent organizational and communication skills, and capable of rapidly integrating technological capabilities with application requirements. This position will demand a high level of energy and ability to multitask across activities that include technology development, testing, and qualification. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, fact based, and self-motivated.
- Experience in lithium-ion electrolyte systems, including solvents, conductive salts, additives development.
- Familiar with benchmark experience of various electrolyte and additives technical performance evaluation.
- Expertise and hands-on experience in organic chemistry including synthesis, characterization and evaluation.
- Experience with liquid electrolytes, polymer electrolytes, ionic liquids, and solid state electrolytes.
- Familiar with active materials for rechargeable battery application, particularly those enable high energy density.
- Experience in electrode made process, cell assembly, cell test, and data analysis.
- Familiar with physicochemical properties of electrolyte measurement, such as HF, density, viscosity, conductivity.
- Fluent in electrochemical techniques such as cyclic voltammetry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, and common potentiostatic and galvanostatic methods etc.
- Proficiency in data analysis and experimental design utilizing Minitab and/or Excel VBA code preferred.
- Advanced written communication skills applied directly to the preparation of technical papers, patent specifications, presentations, applications notes, ESOW, SOP, and other such documents.
- Effective time management in a semi-autonomous environment with the ability to work independently and as part of team.
- Self-motivated and a team player.
- PhD in Chemistry, or related field.
- 4+ years of experience on electrolyte development for lithium ion batteries desired for Senior level.
- Schlenk line work experience.
- Moisture sensitive chemistry experiences both in a glove box and dry room a plus.
- Fluent in English.
A123 is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer