Position: Manager, R&D (Si Anode)
Reports To: Director, Fundamental R&D
Location: Waltham, MA
A123 Systems, LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion
batteries and battery systems for the transportation and commercial markets.
A123 is seeking a motivated scientist/engineer to lead the R&D high capacity electrode technology development program. This individual will be responsible for developing, qualifying, and integrating new materials and processes for deployment into next generation high-voltage battery systems. The position will involve close collaboration with the numerous R&D departments located around the globe, including Waltham, MA and Hangzhou, China. The desired candidate is expected to have post-graduate and industrial experience in the field of electrochemical energy storage material synthesis and its application in LIB technology. This will require fundamental knowledge of different synthesis methods and equipment, a deep knowledge of electrochemical techniques, and hands on experience with varying analytical techniques with a sound technical understanding of how to interpret the data. Additionally, the candidate must display the ability to effectively utilize a diverse scientific staff ranging from PhD scientists to skilled technicians.
The position will be based out of Waltham, MA.
- Participate in developing and executing A123s high energy technology development roadmap.
- Promote a laboratory focused approach that includes generating new ideas and for the development of next generation high energy materials and processes in accordance with A123’s technology roadmap.
- Oversee R&D personnel and budgetary resources allocated to the high energy program.
- Manage lithium-ion cell fabrication, testing, analysis, and data organization associated with the advanced material and process development.
- Implement parallel paths to ensure successful transfer of R&D technology to production in an economical fashion.
- Interact with laboratory technicians, scientists, and engineers to ensure ESOW tasks are completed within the agreed upon timeframe.
- Systematically review prior art and peer-reviewed publications for relevant information.
- Drives for Results - The passion to set and meet high standards of performance.
- Drives Accountability - The ability to establish clear, measurable goals and deliver on commitments.
- Ability to lead cross functional teams to develop high energy density material and cell technology for high voltage automotive applications.
- A fundamental understanding of advanced high capacity lithium-ion anodes such as Si materials ranging from their synthesis to incorporation into negative electrodes and binder design. Direct experience on techniques to stabilize those anodes and reduce irreversible capacity loss.
- Experience in matching high capacity cathode chemistry (High Ni NMC) for cycle life as well as energy density improvement
- Thinks Analytically - The ability to break down problems, gain understanding, and make effective decisions.
- Demonstrates an aptitude for independent and creative thinking as well as complex problem solving using innovative approaches.
- Experience in successful scale up of technologies from lab to pilot to production level.
- Fluent in electrochemical techniques such as cyclic voltammetry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, and common potentiostatic and galvanostatic methods.
- Proficient with Maccor, Gamry, Arbin, and Princeton Applied Research platforms.
- Knowledge of lithium-ion battery assembly and characterization.
- Proficiency in data analysis and experimental design utilizing Minitab and Excel VBA code preferred.
- Advanced written communication skills applied directly to the preparation of technical papers, patent specifications, presentations, applications notes, engineering statement of work (ESOW), standard operating procedures (SOP), and other such documents.
- Excellent oral communications skills with the ability to speak with clarity and interface effectively with co-workers.
- Effective time management in a semi-autonomous environment with the ability to work independently and as part of team.
- Ph.D. in materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or related field
- 10 years industry/academic (post graduate) experience
- Knowledge of unit operation, process development and scale up is a plus.
- Hands-on experience on prelithiation is a plus.
- Fluent in English
The position will be based in Waltham, MA.