Position Title: Senior Cell Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports To: Senior Manager, Mechanical Cell Design
Location: Waltham, MA
The Senior Cell Mechanical Design Engineer will be a leading team member in an aggressive product development effort to produce and commercialize next generation Lithium-Ion portable power technology. As part of a multidisciplinary team, the Senior Cell Mechanical Design Engineer will be supporting cell mechanical and electrical design development efforts underlying the production and application of lithium ion battery technology in automotive and commercial products.
- Design and development of Li-Ion battery cell products for, Passenger Automotive, Commercial and Industrial applications.
- Act as cell mechanical design technical lead within cross functional cell product development team(s).
- Plan and troubleshoot prototyping and transfer to mass production.
- Support mechanical component and assembly design documentation.
- Plan and support execution of product performance, physical and abuse testing.
- Support on-going design changes for cost and performance improvements.
- Manage both internal and external technical resources.
- Effectively communicate results to broader teams in the US and abroad.
- Plan and Execute APQP Phase Gate Development projects
- Hands-on experience developing Li-Ion battery cells is highly desirable.
- Working understanding of heat transfer and thermal analysis. Experience with mechanical, thermal-electric and/or electrochemical FEA analysis desirable.
- Experience in development of products for large volume production in a structured Phase Gate environment such as APQP or DFSS methods.
- Ability to perform component and assembly tolerance stack up analysis based on design targets and/or manufacturing process capability data.
- Knowledge and experience with precision metal stamping, deep drawing and metal joining. Specific experience with ultrasonic metal welding and/or polymer heat sealing highly desirable.
- Individual drive and flexibility to work in a rapidly developing entrepreneurial environment.
- Resourceful, strong attention to detail and excellent interaction skills, capable of rapidly integrating observations and results into subsequent development activities.
- BS or MS in Mechanical, Chemical, Materials Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of related design and development experience.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated expertise and success in design and development of mechanical components and assemblies for high volume production
- Experience with Multi-physics FEA analysis and 3D CAD software.