The Site Quality Assurance Manager shall drive continuous improvement of plant food safety and quality systems, ensure training and standardization of quality policies and procedures, enforce food safety compliance, conduct oversight of analytical testing in the laboratory, and communication with internal company personnel & external customers.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Lead the Quality team’s development using plant principles. Develop training programs for Quality team members; lead training and conduct train-the-trainer sessions on quality/food safety processes.
- Administer internal cGMP’s, quality standards and systems audits, and recommend changes to close gaps
- Analyze consumer complaints; identify/validate legitimacy; design resolution plan, respond to customers
- Provide performance feedback to employees on a regular basis including annual performance reviews
- Administer site Food Safety Plan and be the Preventative Controls Qualified Individual for the plant, following C. J. Foods, Inc. corporate guidelines
- Ensure reporting of data and maintenance of records is documented. Interpretation of the data must be correct, and the results effectively communicated to appropriate individuals, including corporate personnel, site management and customers
- Introduce quality procedures to the plant and new personnel. Responsible for creating quality related documentation that meets company policies and procedures
- Coordinate execution and follow-up of regulatory internal and external audits (i.e. FDA, USDA, State, Corporate, (SQF preferred), customers, etc.)
- Administer Quality and Food Safety programs (i.e. raw materials receiving, finished product quality and testing requirements, GMP, preventive controls program, glass and brittle plastic policy, etc.)
- SQF Practitioner for site
- Administer and audit site prerequisite programs and process steps
- Actively contribute to the achievement of plant KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)
- Accountable for meeting or exceeding safety standards and follow-up following any site recordable injuries
- Administer the site Quality Hold Program
- Coordinate maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment
- Manage micro-biological, environment, and finish product verification programs for the site
- Develops and is accountable for site Quality and Food Safety Budgets
- Manage organic and export programs for the plant
- Responsible to follow established procedures to ensure that C.J. Foods, Inc. produces safe, quality food, meeting all regulatory requirements.
- Other duties as directed and assigned.
- Able to operate all applicable laboratory instrumentation.
- Perform routine calibration checks and basic equipment maintenance of the laboratory instruments.
- Track NIR accuracy through outside/inside laboratory analytical results, calculate and communicate off-line adjustments to QA techs when needed.
- Coordinate NIR calibration bias adjustments or calibration expansion when needed.
- Troubleshoot lab equipment malfunctions
- Identify suppliers and ensure materials purchased meet requirements for the intended use at the best price.
FOOD SAFETY AND SANITATION
- Know and follow basic sanitation requirements for a food facility
- Implement and maintain site Master Cleaning Schedule
- Microbial Testing:
- Review microbial sampling results, investigate results, work with Operations Management to correct issues.
- Participate in traceability exercises, identify gaps and implement corrective action for program improvement and achievement of identified plant certifications. Review and follow the Food Safety Plan and Preventive Controls Program.
- Provide direction regarding deployment of resources; QA Supervisors, QA Specialists, laboratory staff and sanitation staff
- Ensure training and development of direct reports and their staff.
- Monitor and communicate test result trends to Operations Management and Corp. Director of FS&Q for continuous improvement
- Follow-up on deviations from specifications, determine disposition, and work with Operations Management to implement corrective actions
- Respond to customer questions and concerns
- Present microbial testing results at weekly microbial meeting; change or make improvements to address concerns.
- Participate in investigation of Critical Quality Incidents and report findings at weekly site meetings
- Assist in any recall or withdrawal activities for the site.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS (To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required).
- Minimum education requirement – Food Science or similar degree required, with 3-5 years’ experience in pet food or food related field.
- Plant Quality experience preferred. Experience in quality and regulatory may be substituted for education when supported by formalized training.
- Required to have SQF practitioner and HACCP certifications, FSPCA Preventative Controls for Animal Food certification, or must attain within 12 months of hire date
- Supervisory experience required.
- Willing to work in a team environment and contribute to group goals
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to receive and provide instructions in a positive manner