Front Desk Agent
Department: Front Office
Typically Reports To: Front Office Manager
The Front Desk is often the first point of contact and the first impression for guests. Warm, knowledgeable service and helpful guidance reassure guests they’ve made the right choice to stay with us. To deliver a great guest experience – a Front Desk Agent will check in and out guests efficiently, and make sure they have all they need for a great stay.
Duties and responsibilities
Welcome guests in a friendly, prompt and professional manner recognizing Guest Privilege Members and also returning guests
- Check guests in, issue room keys, provide information on hotel services and room location
- Ensure required identification is taken from guests at check-in in line with local legislative requirements
- Answer phones in a prompt and courteous manner
- Up-sell rooms where possible to maximize hotel revenue
- Answer, record and process all guest calls, messages, requests, questions or concerns
- Record guest preferences in the system
- Check guests out, including resolving any late or disputed charges
- Accurately process all cash and credit card transactions using established procedures
- Issue, control and release guest safe-deposit boxes in line with hotel procedures
- Communicate any outstanding guest requests or issues to management that may require additional monitoring or follow-up
- Take action to solve guest problems/complaints using appropriate service recovery guidelines
- Follow established hotel safety protocols and procedures at all times. Immediately report any health and safety incident, security breaches, concerns or suspicious behavior to the supervisor or manager on duty
- May routinely book guest reservations for individuals and/or groups that are requested either by phone or from within the hotel; process cancellations, revisions, and information updates on changes
- Work as part of a team and communicate with other departments as per hotel procedures to ensure excellent quality and service
- Perform other duties as assigned including guest room tours, concierge services, special guest requests, etc.
Qualifications and requirements
High School diploma /Secondary qualification or equivalent. One year front desk/guest service experience strongly preferred. Some college/university preferred. Must speak fluent local language. Additional language skills preferred but not required depending on location of hotel.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Frequently standing up behind the desk and front office areas
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Handling objects, products and computer equipment
- Basic computer skills to operate various property management and reservations systems, etc.
- Being passionate about people and service
- Strong communication skills essential when interacting with guests and employees
- Reading and writing abilities are used often when completing paperwork, logging issues, complaints, and requests, etc.
- Basic math skills are used frequently when handling cash or credit.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating and training abilities are often used
- Have the ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and/or holidays
The statements in this job description are intended to represent the key duties and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job.