The Landscape Technician is an experienced landscape team member capable of working with minimal supervision. He or she is responsible for performing a variety of landscaping duties and for assisting the Landscape Team Leader as needed with directing the activities of team members performing landscape duties for residential and commercial customers.
This position reports to the Landscape Team Leader and assists with the supervision of one or more Team Members as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 90-days experience in the horticulture or construction field
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of materials, tools, equipment, and procedures used in the landscaping implementation processes
- Ability to read and write (in English)
- Ability and willingness to work weekend hours
- Ability and willingness to work overtime hours when needed
- Proficiency with all equipment listed in the “Special Equipment” section of this document
- Good communication skills
- Good time management skills
- An eye for detail related to landscaping
- Self-directed initiative and sense of pride in work
- Reliable and dependable
- Prior supervisory experience, preferably in a service-oriented environment that involved route and outdoor work
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Required Licenses and Certifications
- CPR and first-aid certifications
- Plant Identification I In-House Certification
- Small Engine Proficiency (Beginner) In-House Certification
- Equipment Safety (Intermediate) In-House Certification
- Valid Ohio Driver’s License that is not currently suspended or revoked (driving record must meet the insurance carrier’s policy requirements and Grunder Landscaping Co. driving standards)Position
Duties and Functions
- As needed, assist the Landscape Team Leader with providing direction to, training, and monitoring the work of assigned team members. Ensure all daily tasks are completed on schedule and according to quality standards.
- As needed, help ensure team members are aware of and abide by company policies, processes, and procedures, including, but not limited to, standard operating procedures (SOPs),safety protocols, and work rules.
- Assist the Landscape Team Leader with planning and organizing jobs, ensuring that the necessary resources and materials are available in sufficient quantities and that time is managed efficiently. Help ensure that all jobs are completed in the most time-efficient manner.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment, including job sites and equipment. Immediately report any damaged, broken, missing, or malfunctioning equipment and/or any safety concerns to the Landscape Team Leader and/or mechanic.
- Maintain and monitor the vehicle and equipment fluid levels and ensure that the vehicle is in proper working condition prior to use. Clean the vehicle as needed, perform daily safety inspection.
- Assist the Landscape Team Leader with client interactions by introducing team members at the beginning of a job, answering questions, responding to client requests, making reasonable adjustments to the plan, and performing a walk-through with the client when the job is completed.
- Brief the Team Leader and offer recommendations related to job status, personnel issues, and/or client concerns.Report any violations of company policies, safety protocols, or SOPs to the Landscape Team Leader as soon as possible. Proactively provide information whenever possible in order to resolve issues early-on.
- Assist the Landscape Team Leader with completing required electronic forms, reports, and paperwork, including, but not limited to, timesheets, work orders, change orders, material requisitions, and client tickets.
- As needed, drive the company truck (with or without a trailer) to job sites to transport team members, materials, and equipment.
- Coordinate the unloading and loading of materials and equipment at each job site.
- Read landscaping blueprints, review landscaping plans with Team Leader, and implement the landscaping construction plan according to specifications.
- Help remove snow during the winter months, as needed.
- Apply chemicals under the direction of a licensed commercial applicator.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Frequent contact with team members, coworkers, and clients. The majority of the work (95%) is performed outdoors with constant exposure to environmental and weather elements including, but not limited to, heat, cold, rain, wind, snow, grasses, dirt, bugs, plants, trees, shrubs, flowers, dust, and pollen. Work is performed in close proximity to machinery and loud noises. Frequent exposure to fertilizers, fumes, and lawncare chemicals. Work involves daily travel on public roadways to and from job sites and, as needed, operating a motor vehicle (with or without a trailer) on public roadways.
This position requires the ability to work full-time (five days per week, minimum of eight hours per day) with extended workdays and weekend work during the season, at times with little or no advanced notice.
Must possess ability to efficiently and safely operate a variety of mechanical equipment and hand/power tools, including, but not limited to, articulating loader, skid steers, mini skid steers, string trimmers, bed edgers, rototillers, gas-powered sheers, plant augers, chainsaws, backpack blowers, and small, medium- and large-duty trucks with manual or automatic transmissions and truck and trailer combinations.
Physical and Mental Demands
Occasional Demands (1-33%)
- Lifting and/or Carrying (51 to 80 lbs)
Frequent Demands (34-66%)
- Lifting and/or Carrying(26 to 50 lbs)
Constant Demands (67-100%)
- Lifting and/or Carrying(up to 25 lbs)
- Visual Acuity
- Mental Alertness
- Manual Dexterity
- Oral Communication
- Hand-Eye Coordination