The CNC Programmer programs and operates CNC turning and milling machines and performs basic maintenance with recover of equipment as necessary. Functions as a cell leader and reports to the Production Manager.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Programs CNC turning and milling machines for production efficiency.
- Interfaces with vendors and customers.
- Makes recommendations for equipment maintenance, repairs and order of operations to develop efficient processes.
- Communicates effectively with shop floor employees and management.
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines.
- Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
- Performs machining and milling processes including drilling, tapping, threading, turning, facing, and boring.
- Determines and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
- Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
- Validates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
- Installs machined replacement parts in mechanisms, machines, and equipment, and tests operation of unit to ensure functionality and performance.
- Performs basic preventive maintenance on the machines.
- Confers with engineers, production personnel, or others to resolve machining or assembly problems.
- Communicates quality issues to Quality department representatives.
- Offers suggestions for improvement of processes.
- Ensures work areas are kept clean, organized, and safe.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Handling export controlled technology and/or technical data while performing duties within this position are subject to the laws of the United States (including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations ('EAR’) and/or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations ('ITAR’) and the Company's export control procedures. The access to such technology/technical data to anyone other than a U.S. Person* could affect the applicant’s scope of employment and may require authorization from the U.S. Government. Therefore, additional information in this regard may be required from applicants for this position.
*Pursuant to the EAR and the ITAR, a U.S. Person includes any individual who is granted U.S. citizenship, any individual who is granted U.S. permanent residence (i.e., a 'green card' holder), or any individual who is granted political asylum or other protected status under applicable law.
- The competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Leadership (including Integrity/Ethics, Attitude)
- Teamwork/Team Leadership (supports other departments and sites)
- Customer Focus (internal and external)
- Productivity (including Dependability, Initiative, Project Management, Creativity/Innovation)
- Results Focused
- Decision Making/Judgment
- Job Knowledge
- Communication (including Interpersonal Skills)
- Work Environment/Safety
- Personal Organization
- Technical Documents
- Computer Skills
Education, Experience, Other Skills
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Basic computer skills, Microsoft Word & Excel.
- CNC offline programming, G-Code.
- Knowledge of and experience with setting up and operating various makes of machines.
- Experience with using various gauges to measure part features.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to standard manufacturing shop environmental conditions. Eye protection is required in shop areas. The noise level in the shop can be loud, and ear protection is to be used where required. Other personal protective equipment may be required as appropriate.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: sit, handle, feel and control items or equipment, talk, hear, see, and be able to read, write, and interpret written documents. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, which is regularly required to view computer screen. Occasionally may need to lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.