ALTERNATIVES FOR GIRLS
Under the direction of the Shelter Manager, the Resident Advisor will be directly responsible for overseeing and training clients on shelter routines to ensure that they understand procedures and expectations.
- Provide hands-on independent living skills training.
- Conduct house meetings, activities and educational forums as assigned.
- Facilitate informal group activities and problem solving among clients as needed.
- Welcome new residents to the shelter by conducting intakes and orientation.
- Meet at least weekly with assigned clients to provide support, review progress towards goals, and ensure needs are met.
- Respond to callers seeking service from our 24-hour crisis line.
- Respond appropriately to client’s medical needs including distributing medications, seeing that needed medical treatment and/or advice is sought and facilitating access to emergency care.
- Assist clients with transportation needs.
- Carry out disciplinary measures with clients as needed according to policies and program procedures.
- Complete all forms associated with intake and discharges.
- Meet weekly with caseworkers for assigned clients to discuss issues and progress.
- Attend scheduled Resident Advisor and other department meetings.
- Minimum education requirement is a high school diploma /GED.
- Preferred: Two years of college and two years of experience working with adolescents or young adults.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Flexibility, reliability, stability, and consistency in job performance.
- Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule.
- Meet all licensing requirements: TB test, DHS clearance, background check, etc.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s license, excellent driving record and access to reliable transportation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential functions consistent with ADA, FMLA and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Occasional local driving as part of transporting clients to recreational, medical and other appointments.
- Moderate lifting of supplies and donations required on a regular basis.