Under the direction of the Shelter Manager, the On-Call Resident Advisor will be directly responsible for overseeing and training clients on shelter routines to ensure that they understand procedures and expectations.
- Provide hands-on independent living skills training.
- Conduct house meetings, activities and educational forums as assigned.
- Facilitate informal group activities and problem solving among clients as needed.
- Welcome new residents to the shelter by conducting intakes, and orientation.
- Meet with assigned clients to provide support, review progress towards goals, and ensure needs are met.
- Respond to callers seeking service from our 24-hour crisis line.
- Respond appropriately to client’s medical needs including distributing medications, seeing that needed medical treatment and/or advice is sought and facilitating access to emergency care.
- Assist clients with transportation needs.
- Carry out disciplinary measures with clients as needed according to policies and program procedures.
- Complete all forms associated with intake and discharges.
- Meet weekly with caseworkers for assigned clients to discuss issues and progress.
- Two years of college, or equivalent training/experience preferred.
- Additional two years’ experience working with adolescents or young adults.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Flexibility, reliability, stability, and consistency in job performance. Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule.
- Meet all licensing requirements: TB test, DHS clearance, background check, etc. Valid Michigan Driver’s license, excellent driving record and access to personal vehicle.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential functions consistent with ADA, FMLA and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Occasional local driving as part of transporting clients to recreational, medical and other appointments.
- Moderate lifting of supplies and donations required on a regular basis.
AFG is an Equal Opportunity Employer