Alternatives For Girls Employment Opportunity: Director of Fund Development
May 1st, 2019
At Alternatives For Girls, our mission is to help homeless and high-risk girls and young women avoid violence, teen pregnancy, and exploitation, and to help them to explore and access the support, resources, and opportunities necessary to be safe, to grow strong, and to make positive choices in their lives.
Our employees love being involved in the empowering work we do, and having a deep dedication to the mission is the foundation of our team. In addition to making a tangible, positive impact, some of the benefits our staff enjoy include:
- Flexible work environment
- Work-life balance
- Ability to start accruing up to five weeks off after only six months of employment (and we encourage you to use it!)
- Emphasis on staff development
- Highly competitive benefits packages
The Director of Fund Development reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible, directly and by overseeing the fund development team, for securing financial gifts from individuals, family foundations, and corporations, to insure that AFG has the financial capacity to fulfill the agency’s mission; the DFD is also responsible, directly and by overseeing the FD team, for promoting AFG’s mission and needs via media and marketing. The Director of Fund Development works closely with the Chief Executive Officer and fund development team to successfully solicit major support from individual donors, foundations, and other private sources.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Job Related Background and Preparation
- Bachelor's degree in fund development, marketing, communications or related field and a minimum of 5 years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in asking for and closing major gifts of $10,000 or more preferred.
- Experience initiating, building, and sustaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents such as major donors and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to act as an extrovert—that is, to successfully reach out and “connect” with people, both in new and in continuing relationships—a must.
- Demonstrated successful experience in managing, tracking, and advancing relationships with multiple prospects and donors.
- Ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
- Knowledge of current trends in charitable giving, particularly in the areas of capital campaigns, major gifts and planned giving. Working knowledge of charitable gift planning preferred.
- Ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision and sense of core purpose.
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and marshal resources throughout the entire organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to positively influence and persuade.
- Ability to design, implement, and direct fundraising initiatives, including individualized cultivation, solicitation and recognition strategies.
- Ability to work effectively in high-visibility, fast-paced and stressful environment; and to maintain composure under pressure.
- Proven ability to negotiate complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
- Demonstrated success in consistently following through on commitments, both large and small.
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated understanding of the fundraising code of ethical standards.
- Strong communication (both written and oral) and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey AFG’s mission to diverse groups including donors, corporate executives, board members and others who are important to the organization's overall prosperity.
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with development team.
- Flexibility, reliability, stability, and consistency in job performance.
- Meet all Agency licensing requirements: TB test, MDHHS clearance, etc.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s license, good driving record and access to personal vehicle.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
Alternatives For Girls in an equal opportunity employer including women and minorities
Apply by visiting: https://alternativesforgirls.org/careers/