We have an opening in our San Francisco, CA office for a Claims Unit Supervisor. The Unit Supervisor is responsible for the development, management, and performance of a unit of Claim Professionals managing workers compensation claims.
- Ensure that claims are managed in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations, case law, and Company standards, and that the unit achieves high scores on claim audits.
- Ensure that the unit’s Claim Professionals produce successful claim outcomes by achieving prompt claim closures, high client satisfaction with claim services, effective claim cost containment, and achievement of the unit’s goals.
- Ensure that claim reserves and settlements are appropriate and timely.
- Monitor and direct the management of individual claims within the unit in accordance with Company standards.
- Manage the workflow of the unit including planning, assigning, and directing work.
- Foster and guide the personal and professional development and growth of individual Claim Professionals of varying levels of experience to help them build successful and satisfying careers while producing excellent results in their work and exhibiting exemplary workplace behavior.
- Serve as a role model for the Company’s culture by embodying the highest standards of performance, behavior, and ethical standards.
- Actively reinforce and support Company programs and initiatives including internal audit, training, and strategic and tactical innovation and improvement.
- Identify and communicate training needs, assist upon request with facilitating training topics, and continually reinforce Claim Professionals’ adherence to the concepts and techniques taught during the training program.
- Aid in the development of vendor panels by identifying qualifying and non-qualifying defense attorneys, nurse case managers, vocational rehabilitation consultants, and investigators. Maintain effective vendor relationships including holding vendors to the Company’s high expectations of service and results.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university; or at least five years of relevant experience and training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, medical reports, bills, legal briefs, statutes, regulations, and court opinions. Able to write claim notes, summaries, reports, and business correspondence. Able to effectively present information and respond to questions with managers, clients, customers, and the general public, both in individual conversations and presentations to groups.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software. Able to quickly master proprietary and vended software applications.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Disability and AD&D
- Retirement & Savings Plan with 100% employer match up to 5% of salary
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.