The Welcome and Information Desk (WID) serves as the search engine for the campus community providing information, navigation, resources and connection to services. The WID also helps to facilitate a welcoming, caring, healthy and safe environment, and promote an inclusive community rooted in the Caritas Veritas tradition of Dominican University. The WID Agent works at various front desk locations – Coughlin Commons, Lewis Hall, and the Priory East Entrance – assisting in administration, service, and campus safety. As the first contact to guests, visitors, and persons in and outside of the Dominican community, WID Agents must demonstrate professionalism and exemplary customer service at all times, while also responding quickly and effectively in emergencies and situations involving campus safety.
The WID Agent position is for someone who has a passion for service and hospitality, and strong interpersonal and communication skills. You are someone that sees your role as a WID Agent vital to delivering a So Proudly Dominican experience!
The WID Agent:
Serves as a resource for guests, visitors, students, residents, families and other persons in and outside of the campus community and should be familiar with the services and opportunities provided by the WID, Student Life and other university departments and offices.
Will be knowledgeable of and able to communicate university and departmental procedures and policies.
Is expected to support the vision, mission, values and goals of the WID and the university.
Will collaborate with Student Life – Resident Assistants (RA’s) and Leadership Team (LT’s) to report/communicate any issues and situations in the residence halls.
Will help to create and maintain a friendly, respectful, and accepting atmosphere at the WID.
Will serve as a positive role model for all students. This includes but is not limited to modeling appropriate and mature behavior on and off campus as well as via digital and social media.
Will fulfill all expectations as described and provided in training sessions, the WID Agent Manual, and through direct supervision.
Will arrive on time for all scheduled shifts, and take responsibility with coordinating coverage or a swift swap using Whentowork.com in the event of an absence, early departure or late arrival.
The WID Agent will:
Customer Service Responsibilities
The WID Agent will:
- Maintain a positive attitude that is welcoming and supportive of the university and the department.
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a high level of inclusion and professionalism when engaging with guests, visitors, students, residents, families and other persons in and outside of the campus community by phone, email or face-to-face regarding any housing, Student Life, departmental or university questions, concerns, policies and requests.
- Promote a sense of safety within the residence halls through addressing student behaviors, reporting concerns and responding to any emergency concerns.
- Uphold and maintain confidentiality with sensitive student or university information.
- Become familiar with the different office locations and services and DU’s web resources – dom.edu, MyDU and engageDU that are available to students, faculty and staff at the university in order to make appropriate referrals.
- Be aware of and promote Student Life, DUPAC and other university programs to the campus community.
- Utilize Skype for Business as an information-sharing tool amongst the WID locations.
Campus Safety Responsibilities
The WID Agent will:
- Serve as a steward of the University’s Front Door policy – ensuring that law enforcement and governmental official inquiries are properly addressed.
- Monitor the activities in the surrounding area of the WID and report anything suspicious or out of the ordinary to Campus Safety.
- Make and complete an Incident Report (IR) when the behavior of some community members, may, at times, challenge the well-being of others.
- Perform and participate in other WID duties assigned or delegated by the leadership team such as the communication log/daily interaction form, weekly assignments, professional development assessments and various administrative tasks.
- Attend monthly WID agent meetings.
- Attend 1:1 meeting with supervisor each semester.
Applicants should be hard working, enthusiastic, responsible and resourceful. Additionally, applicants should have several of the following soft and technical skills:
- Knowledge and experience providing customer service by telephone, in-person or email;
- Ability to effectively problem solve;
- Ability to interact with unsatisfied individuals and provide escalation when needed;
- Ability to follow direction and complete a task or assignment within defined expectations;
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision;
- Exceptional attention to detail