|Position: Adjunct Faculty, Public Speaking (spring)|
|Job Id: 695|
|# of Openings: 1|
Adjunct Faculty, Public Speaking (spring)
Position Available: January 4, 2019
FLSA Status: Exempt (salary)
Job Status: Part-time Faculty
This is an anticipated opening; final determination will be made in December based on course enrollment. Review of materials will done on a rolling basis through November 15.
The Communication Arts and Sciences Department at Dominican University is seeking Part-Time Adjunct Faculty for a spring 2019 course in Introduction to Public Speaking (CAS 155, 3 credits), which will be offered MWF from 1:30-2:20. This class is an introduction to the principles and effective practices of oral communication. This class familiarizes students with both the “hows” and the “whys” of effective speech making. The material covers the foundation of the communication and listening skills, the vocal and physical dimensions of good speech delivery, and the importance of research and preparation in developing effective presentations. Students deliver speeches in the four basic forms: ceremonial, informative, persuasive, and business. Through this class students are expected to become better consumers and providers of public communication. This course can be taken by any student, but it is required course for Communication Studies majors and Digital Journalism majors.
· Teach material from approved curriculum.
· Develop and implement lesson plans based on established goals and objectives.
· Write or adapt appropriate assignments and evaluations.
· Provide regular and timely feedback to students.
Salary for development/instruction of classes will be agreed upon by the Dean of the Rosary College of Arts and Sciences.
· Minimum of Master's Degree (M.A. or M.S.) with demonstrated ability to teach public speaking, interpersonal speaking, and/or group communication.
· Knowledge and skill in software applications such as Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Excel, and willingness to learn the Dominican Learning Management System, Canvas.
· Superior interpersonal communication skills in face-to-face contexts.
Dominican University will accept applications for this position until it is filled. Please submit a cover letter and CV/resume, including a list of references.
Official transcripts will be required of finalists; submission instructions will be provided to applicants as necessary.
This is an anticipated opening; final determination will be made in December based on course enrollment. Review of applicants materials will be done on a rolling basis through November 15.
Dominican University is an equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We look forward to a diverse pool of applicants who bring varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
Apply for this Position
|Go back to the job list|